My research interests focus on a core theme of social relationships in a social context. I seek to understand the ways in which stress impacts social relationships and, in turn, affects health outcomes. Moreover, I am interested in understanding how these processes are altered by various social contexts, such as socioeconomic status and gender. Thus, my research over the years has covered topics including adult attachment, attributions, perceived stigma, poverty, discrimination, gender attitudes and multiple dimensions of social support.
- Bassuk, E., Mickelson, K. D., Bissell, H. D., & Perloff, J. (2002). Role of kin and non-kin support in low-income women's mental health. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 72, 39-49.
- Claffey, S. T., & Mickelson, K. D. (2009). Division of household labor and distress: The role of perceived fairness for working mothers. Sex Roles, 60, 819-831.
- Kessler, R. C., Mickelson, K. D., & Williams, D. (1999). The prevalence, distribution, and mental health correlates of perceived discrimination in the United States. Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 40, 208-230.
- Mickelson, K. D. (2001). Perceived stigma, social support, and depression. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 27, 1046-1056.
- Mickelson, K. D., Claffey, S. T., & Williams, S. L. (2006). The moderating role of gender and gender role attitudes on the link between spousal support and well-being. Sex Roles, 55, 73-82.
- Mickelson, K. D., & Demmings, J. L. (2009). Impact of support network substitution on low-income women’s health: Are minor children beneficial substitutes? Social Science & Medicine, 68, 80-88.
- Mickelson, K. D., Helgeson, V. S., & Weiner, E. (1995). Gender effects on social support provision and receipt. Personal Relationships, 2, 211-224.
- Mickelson, K. D., Kessler, R. C., & Shaver, P. R. (1997). Adult attachment in a nationally representative sample. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 73, 1092-1106.
- Mickelson, K. D., & Kubzansky, L. D. (2003). Social distribution of social support: The mediating role of life events. American Journal of Community Psychology, 32, 265-281.
- Mickelson, K. D., & Williams, S. L. (2008). Perceived stigma of poverty and psychological distress: Examination of interpersonal and intrapersonal mediators. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 27, 903-930.
- Mickelson, K. D., Wroble, M., & Helgeson, V. S. (1999). "Why my child?": Parental attributions for children’s special needs. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 29, 1263-1292.
- Park, L. E., Crocker, J., & Mickelson, K. D. (2004). Attachment styles and contingencies of self-worth. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 30, 1243-1254.
- Seacat, J. D., & Mickelson, K. D. (2009). Stereotype threat and the exercise/dietary health intentions of overweight women. Journal of Health Psychology, 14, 556-567.
- Williams, S. L., & Mickelson, K. D. (2007). A resilience impairment model of partner violence and distress: Moderating role of income. American Journal of Community Psychology, 40, 13-25.
- Williams, S. L., & Mickelson, K. D. (2004). The nexus of domestic violence and poverty: Resilience in women’s anxiety. Violence Against Women, 10, 283-293.
- Graduate Multivariate Statistics
- Graduate Social Psychology
- Individual and Society
- Inequality in Societies
- Introduction to Social Psychology
- Psychology of Gender and Social Class
- Psychosocial Aspects of Health
- Social Structure and Individual Lives
Department of Psychology
Kent State University
P.O. Box 5190
Kent, Ohio 44242-0001
- Phone: (330) 672-2253
- Fax: (330) 672-4724
- Email: email@example.com